Subject: lpd errors not logged
To: None <tech-misc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-misc
Date: 07/02/2005 22:42:41
Failures to print to lpd didn't give me any logging.

I noticed a few lpd errors by connecting manually to the printer (515)
port.

These errors should have also gone to syslog:

1)  /usr/sbin/lpd: Connect from invalid port (42800)

(-W fixes above)

2) /usr/sbin/lpd: Host name for your address (192.168.0.99) unknown

lpd(8) doesn't document that and it was not logged.

3) pilchuck.reedmedia.net: /usr/sbin/lpd: Your host does not have line
printer access

The above was caused by first line in hosts.lpd to have a minus sign.
Maybe a hosts.lpd(5) man page is needed?

4) pilchuck.reedmedia.net: /usr/sbin/lpd: Illegal service request

Caused by own testing. I'll ignore that.

For 1, 2 and 3 above, these should by logged via syslog for easier
troubleshooting.

Currently lpd uses its own fatal() function for many errors. Probably some
of them should be syslogged too.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/