Subject: Re: Managing MI entries in our GENERIC-like files
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/26/2004 14:21:34
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, David Brownlee wrote:
>  	so that would be option 2 - have a GENERIC.in which creates
>  	a GENERIC, both of which are checked in? Or just an option to
>  	config which resolves all includes and spits out the result
>  	(I'm prefer not the latter :)

Metoo.
We keep e.g. the pcidevs list as input file, but also commit the generated
files for it that can then be processed (by the C compiler).

Doing the same thing for kernel config seems sane to me:
Keep GENERIC.in parts in various places, and when one changes, have a
mechanism to automatically update (and commit) all the
sys/arch/*/conf/GENERIC (etc.!) files.

I don't care very much if the implementation uses cpp, m4 or whatever.
Having something like "no mca" or "no sound" etc. in my config file would
make things nice for me too.

 - Hubert

--
                         ,,_