Subject: re: [documentation] changing from UNIX(tm) macros to BSD mdoc
To: Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-misc
Date: 12/01/2003 19:47:34

   I propose:

     - updating all -man pages in the base system to -mdoc.
     - submitting patches on this issue for easy upgrade.
     - maintaining information about current status of non-mdoc manual
       pages in the base system in our web server, as it was done for
       other projects.

   I think that it is a nice project and I will be glad of spending
   some time improving those non-mdoc man pages.

   But I do not want to spend my time on this project if it will not
   be accepted.  In other words, I need to know:

     - if patches for upgrading UNIX(tm) man pages to mdoc macros
       will be accepted (i.e., if those changes are good for NetBSD).
     - how will those changes will be managed on pages that are
       currently on strong evolution (in short, RCS man pages are not
       expected to change a lot, but gcc man pages will!)

we are interested in these changes.  the problem for, eg, the
GCC man pages is that they are generated by pod2man.  probably
every time GCC or any other pod2man using program is updated
the man page will been to be re-translated.  (perhaps the right
solution for these is to write a pod2mdoc program?)

so, if you initially work on the non-generated man pages that
would been a good thing.  after that's done we can think about
the generated ones...

thanks!

.mrg.