Subject: [documentation] changing from UNIX(tm) macros to BSD mdoc
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: tech-misc
Date: 12/01/2003 09:42:29
Hello again!

I have checked the current status of the NetBSD manual pages, following
the information provided by Greg A. Woods in an answer to PR #23278.

I am very interested in contributing, again, to the NetBSD project
providing patches to adapt all pages in UNIX(tm) format to the new
and much better mdoc macros.  It does not looks difficult and I have
some experience with troff.

I propose:

  - updating all -man pages in the base system to -mdoc.
  - submitting patches on this issue for easy upgrade.
  - maintaining information about current status of non-mdoc manual
    pages in the base system in our web server, as it was done for
    other projects.

I think that it is a nice project and I will be glad of spending
some time improving those non-mdoc man pages.

But I do not want to spend my time on this project if it will not
be accepted.  In other words, I need to know:

  - if patches for upgrading UNIX(tm) man pages to mdoc macros
    will be accepted (i.e., if those changes are good for NetBSD).
  - how will those changes will be managed on pages that are
    currently on strong evolution (in short, RCS man pages are not
    expected to change a lot, but gcc man pages will!)

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this issue.

Cheers,
Igor.

--
Igor Sobrado, UK34436 - sobrado@acm.org