Subject: Feature proposal: IDE, OnTrack and APM
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@netilium.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 09/15/2003 12:42:47
Hi all,

I have this laptop with a way too large harddisk for the bios to accept it,
so the drive has a software geometry limiter in eeprom and uses the OnTrack
boot loader wrapper, which sets the geometries to native sizes. Now,
this works
fine until the machine goes into standby or sleep. When it comes back up
the geometry seems to have been reset, causing accesses "outside" of the
drive.

My suggested solution is to do "ata set max address command" on wd* on
reentry from APM, setting the geometry to the previously known values.
Or maybe implement it as a kernel option.

Cheers,
Tobias

--
Tobias Nygren