Subject: Re: encrypted filesystem
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Simmons <mds@gbnet.net>
List: tech-misc
Date: 09/03/2003 19:10:20
Well, I think you *could* protect data from root BUT you'd have to invest a
lot of time in extending encryption and protection into the VM system and
enable processes to transparently encrypt data in RAM such that only when
the processor loads operands they get decrypted and when it stores them
they're encrypted again.

Sounds like a hellish amount of work to do in software on conventional CPUs
but if you presupposed that this was a Good Thing(tm) you could spend money
and design processors with the necessary extra gubbins. The trick would be
creating a channel from users into the CPU that no privileged user could
possibly compromise for the transfer of cryptographic keys. Make a mistake
there and game over really.

Sounds to me like a few theses could be written around this one, and it's
healthily distinct from DRM where the technology isn't actually for the
user's benefit but is actually just for rights-holders.

--On 02 September 2003 16:45 -0400 "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>

--
-Mark                 ... an Englishman in London ...