Subject: Re: multiple consumers of msmux
To: NetBSD Miscellaneous Technical Discussion List <tech-misc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 05/20/2003 13:07:03
I wanted to keep this discussion AWAY from streams as a networking
API, because it is known to suck so badly - it is explicitly
connection-oriented, and has no notion of datagrams with distinct
sources or destinations, except as that might have been shoe-horned
in on the original architecture as an ugly hack by the idiots at USL.

I'm not going to fight this war again; sockets won, get over it.
It's not germane to this discussion.

The original streams was intended as a replacement for tty line
disciplines, which are very, very messy. Dennis came up with
something cleaner, which had some very nice properties for the
purpose. I only brought it up as a model to think about while
discussing the wscons keyboard interface issue at hand.

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>