Subject: Re: multiple consumers of msmux
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 05/20/2003 18:09:19
On Sat, 17 May 2003, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> I think such a thing would be very useful - there are often
> specialized keys on keyboards that we could then bind to firing up
> various programs (e.g. "www" key fires up your favorite browser, or
> an "internet" key that fires up PPP).

	<violently agreeing>
	Traditionally this would be done inside the windowmanager
	(or related tool), which is very convenient for the
	webbrowser, less convenient for the ppp link, and bloody
	inconvenient for audio control (when xlock is running or
	on non X virtual console).

	In general anything that fires up or controls X applications
	should be left to the window manager or related tool, which
	would mean any tool that handled the other options would
	not need to be able to run under a 'the current' user, or
	require an X display.
	</violently agreeing>

	Would you want to be able to has a 'wsfilter' or similar
	device which would 'attach' to a wsmux and steal any keys
	in its map?

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --