Subject: Re: color wscons on bitmap screens
To: tech-misc@netbsd.org, <njl@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG>
From: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: tech-misc
Date: 02/24/2003 09:56:33
	I've posted a few articles about the hurdles involved in doing
this to port-macppc before.

	The largest problem is that old-world machines have such a wide
range of different video chips (Apple, Cirrus Logic, S3, ATI, 3dLabs,
Matrox, Number 9, IX Micro/IMS, and I think Brooktree for starters). New
world machines usually have a VGA ROM attached to the frame buffer that we
can leverage like XF86 4.x does.

	If you're serious about doing this (MacPPC desperately
needs this, so we can get rid of OpenFirmware once the kernel has loaded),
check out MkLinux, Darwin, and the PPC Linux flavors and see what they do.

	Good luck,

	Chris

--
I'm trying to port NetBSD to my cup of tea, but it keeps kernel panicking
on refill. This is odd, because I ported it to my toaster and my bookcase

Any hints?

Jared Earle - http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-ports/2002/07/04/0000.html