Subject: Re: installing the same file twice using bsd.*.mk
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 04/14/2002 12:35:46
On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 12:53:57PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
  | On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Klaus Heinz wrote:
  |
  | : During a 'build.sh release', the second stage bootloader for NetBSD/Amiga
  | : (boot.amiga) needs to be installed in $DESTDIR/usr/mdec/ as well as $DESTDIR.
  |
  | Most platforms do this copy as part of "installboot", by passing *two*
  | arguments to installboot (first stage short bootblock and second stage boot
  | program file), not during rolling up of the base sets.  (Part of the reason
  | for this is so that doing a build with DESTDIR=/ won't hose bootability if
  | there's bootblock problems unless "installboot" is explicitly run.)

Actually, with /usr/sbin/installboot, the second stage bootstrap
(/boot or /boot.${MACHINE}) is expected to be in-place beforehand.
I.e, it doesn't have the ability (nor should it) to write files
to a file system; only to frob bootblocks at the start of a file
system or file system image.

  | : Is there a way to install the same file twice in different locations?
  |
  | Basically use ${INSTALL_FILE} directly.  <sigh>

What's the issue? We use ${INSTALL_FILE} in many other places.

I'm curious to as why the base set on the amiga provides /boot;
I don't think any other port does that.  "Whatever" :-)

Luke.