Subject: Re: Third party source [was re: airport codes.]
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 10/25/2000 22:51:34
[ On , October 25, 2000 at 12:33:03 (-0700), Chris G. Demetriou wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Third party source [was re: airport codes.]
>
> I find CVS insanely useful for lots of non-development uses, btw.

Indeed CVS is a nearly indespensible extension of what developers
formerly had to do with RCS alone.

> It's not just a development tool, it's a way of life.

Well, good change management is a way of life -- CVS is just a means to
that end.  Personally I still use SCCS (or rather now usually CSSC) for
managing small things, but that's just history and old habits....

>  But that
> doesn't mean it should be in the source tree.

It depends on just how far one might go in ensuring that not only is the
system self-hosting for development, but also a damn good developer
platform in general.  In theory all the tools necessary for use by a
Unix developer are well suited for (and widely known by) developers who
simply use a unix-like platform to host their projects.  So if NetBSD
wants to be a ready-to-use developer platform out-of-the-box, so to
speak, then it may just well be a good idea to ship CVS with the other
programming tools (or maybe even with the base if promoting change
management as a way of life is considered to be a "Good Thing(tm)").

>  (wow, that almost
> sounds like a comment some people might make about emacs... 8-)

Anyone who wants to use more than a plain screen editor (eg. vi) for
writing code generally carries a toolkit of related specialty tools with
them wherever they go anyway so I think even I would avoid making such
an argument about emacs.....   :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods