Subject: Re: Third party source [was re: airport codes.]
To: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 10/25/2000 12:33:03
jchacon@genuity.net writes:
> However cvs isn't required for "self hosting".
>
> The compiler, sure. CVS?? That's just there for people doing direct development
> and I agree shouldn't be in the tree.

I think I agree, and if it's not neither should RCS be in the tree for
the same reasons I'd say.  If RCS should be, then I think CVS should
be because, as far as I'm concerned, it's the extension that makes RCS
truly useful.  8-)

I find CVS insanely useful for lots of non-development uses, btw.

I use it to manage my dot files, I use it to manage web sites, I've
used it to manage /etc (it's not so great at this, at least with the
versions of our /etc contents that i've tried 8-), I use it to manage
random collections of todo lists, etc.

It's not just a development tool, it's a way of life.  But that
doesn't mean it should be in the source tree.  (wow, that almost
sounds like a comment some people might make about emacs... 8-)

chris