Subject: Re: Third party source [was re: airport codes.]
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-misc
Date: 10/22/2000 04:15:18
>Since we don't have these two very important prerequisites, it's hard to get
>anyone to agree on what should and shouldn't be in src.  My vent was more of
>a plea, in far fewer words, "please stop pulling more stuff into basesrc and
>work instead on making software granularity easier to live with."

i guess i'm in the "larger" camp (although i feel with the way that
sounds -- certainly i'm not in *any* advocating something approaching
the scale of linux where they install *anything* you might *ever*
want), although i certainly see your points.

re: cvs

cvs is something all the developers use, and i think it makes sense to
integrate that because (a) all the developers will and (b) it makes it
easier for budding developers to start playing around.

re: /usr/share/misc

the issue here seems to be with the continued existence/maintenance of
(afaict) ten files:

    airport
    birthtoken
    bsd-family-tree
    country
    domains
    flowers
    inter.phone
    language
    na.phone
    zipcodes

which are the only ones that i can see that are (a) not used directly
by *anything* in the base distribution and (b) requiring maintenance.
okay...be fair...birthtoken and flowers don't need maintenance.  maybe
language and country as well.  all the other files there (not listed
above) are more or less os related, or used by programs in the base
distribution.

i use those four fairly regularly myself, and find it much easier than
pulling down a bookmarked web site whenever i need to look something
up, especially if i have no connectivity at the time.  i'll maintain
them, if no one else wants to, but personally, i think they probably
require less maintenance effort than the time zone stuff, but that's
just me.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|