Subject: getty/modem issue
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Adam Glass <adam@zembu.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 09/30/2000 01:02:48
Greetings.  I'm using NetBSD 1.5 Alpha on a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop
with an external Zoom modem.  I'm using getty to answer the phone and
accept logins on /dev/tty00, and spit out a login banner with getty's
"if" token.  The modem correctly auto-answers reliably, and carrier
sequences are negotiated, and lights blink and all seems well.
Unfortunately, about 50% of the time, the call gets disconnected *right*
after the connection sequence completes, and right when getty is
supposed to send the issue file.

On a hunch, I guessed that this was the result of getty sending the file
too soon, interrupting the not-quite-completed connection.  Lacking
sufficient experience to debug the source code vis-a-vis CD/DSR signals
and such, I simply put a one second pause into the getty source at the
point where it's going to send the "if" file.  (Is there a way to do
this without modifying the source?  I couldn't find a way.)  Anyway,
inserting a one second pause made the login sequence work correctly 100%
of the time -- no more premature disconnections.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  I searched the archives
but didn't find anything...

Adam