Subject: Re: init creating mfs /dev automatically
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-misc
Date: 01/06/2000 10:31:58
>>> [...init auto-creating /dev/console...]

>> How do you propose to have it know what major/minor to give it?  Or
>> is it "0 0" on every port?

> All except 2 (but that would be too easy).

:-)

> I'd probably have to use MAKEDEV - also since / will not be mounted
> r/w it would have to do the same dance as in the current msdosfs case
> by creating an mfs

Or, alternatively, by remounting root RW.  If kernfs is in the kernel
and there's a directory that already exists under /, this is fairly
easy; otherwise, it's a good deal harder (probably hard enough that
it's not worth bothering with - there has to be a point beyond which we
say "it's not worth trying to have init automatically patch up a system
this far from `normal'").

I'd also hope this code would be easy to compile out, in any case.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca