Subject: Re: ANSI vs. K&R
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 03/13/1999 17:22:46
On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 03:41:00PM -0500, Greg Hudson wrote:
> > I don't see any remaining benefit in keeping code "compatible" with
> > old compilers.
>
> I will note that one of the arguments in favor of retaining
> compatibility with non-ANSI C compilers will pretty much never go away
> with time: NetBSD likes to support "retrocomputing," and bootstrapping
> a port on an old platform can be simpler if you can compile most of
> the code with an old compiler.

Actually, a more logical process IMHO would be:
- get support for this in gcc/binutils if it doesn't already exists
- build a cross-toolchain

If it's a platform which doesn't have a ansi C compiler, it's lilely to be
old, thus slow. Better cross-compile from an alpha or a K6/II for developement
:)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>