Subject: Re: ANSI vs. K&R
To: Ask Dr. Stupid <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: tech-misc
Date: 03/12/1999 15:12:55
In message <199903122050.MAA29096@starwolf.com>, Ask Dr. Stupid writes:
>What's "KNF"?  Kernel Native Format?

Kernel Normal Form.  /usr/share/misc/style

>de-ANSIfying seems awfully silly.  Does ANSIfication automatically imply
>a performance hit?

No.  In fact, in some cases, it produces better performance (the "default
conversions" can be elided), and it almost always improves error checking.

Of course, we compile everything in ANSI mode anyway.

>This makes sense given that ANSI is obviously not going away, and is, in
>fact, going forward.  Ten YEARS since ANSI started?  Dang, I remember doing
>the NIST-PCTS and some ANSI conformance testing about ten years ago, right
>at its inception.

Ten years, and look for C9X coming to a compiler near you later this year.
(Which will, among other things, almost certainly formally bless long long.)

-s