Subject: Re: slightly over a week left...
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: tech-misc
Date: 03/07/1999 01:20:35
On Mar 6, 10:07pm, Curt Sampson wrote:
} On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, John Nemeth wrote:
}
} >      I disagree with this.  This is a good ideal for point releases,
} > i.e. 1.3.x, but not for major releases.  Major releases should be
} > based on features.
}
} Well, yes, but putting the emphasis here seems to me not terribly
} productive in this situation, since we have never had a major
} release that did not lack a large number of new features. Our
} biggest problem is that we consistently wait far too long to get
} the next major release out.

     That's why I said some compromise needs to be made.  I agree that
it sometimes takes too long to get a major release out, since people
end having to wait longer then they should to get things like new
drivers, or they have to run development code.  But, at the same time,
I don't think major releases should be put out like clockwork either.

}-- End of excerpt from Curt Sampson