Subject: Re: slightly over a week left...
To: Julian Assange , Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: tech-misc
Date: 03/06/1999 15:43:53
     Can somebody fill us in on how this thread started?

On Mar 5,  1:42pm, Julian Assange wrote:
} Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
}
} > This is why I think we should put off the release.  Let's be real, it's
} > gonna be a long time before 1.5, too.  So, get stuff in there to minimize
} > the pain for those who need to use 1.4.
}
} It is this sort of attitute which guarantees a long time between 1.4
} and 1.5. I see no reason that releng can not stipulate, barring a
} major CVS catastrophe that releases will happen every six months ON
} THE DOT. Indeed I strongly advise RE to set the release timetable for
} 1.5 NOW, so there will be no moral ground on which to stand in
} defending pet code, both now and in six months time.

     I disagree with this.  This is a good ideal for point releases,
i.e. 1.3.x, but not for major releases.  Major releases should be
based on features.  Although, some compromise needs to be made so that
it doesn't take too long for a major release to come out (i.e. once
the target date is set, it shouldn't vary by more then a few months).

}-- End of excerpt from Julian Assange