Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-misc
Date: 02/21/1999 01:55:44
On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Curt Sampson wrote:
> to extract it, and make comparisons that way? This would avoid the
> problem of databases getting out of sync with real life (though
> there's still a potential lack of sync for multi-program applications,
> such as the cc suite).

Heh, that's what we're doing in pkgsrc... we define _PKGTOOLS_VER by
looking at the binaries, and then require a certain version (or above).
If anything below that requested version is installed, we instruct the
user to upgrade. This could be handled automatically.
See line 546+ of pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk.

Works great! :)

> Especially with ELF coming (where this stuff won't be loaded into
> memory any more), I'm keen to embed lots of information into binaries
> so that we can do things such as this and security vulnerability
> checks easily.

``Bloat! Bloat!'' *duck&run*

 - Hubert

--