Subject: Re: dump for ext2 and DOS
To: None <tech-misc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/30/1998 15:26:58
> Does anyone have any plans to extend dump to be able to backup DOS or
> ext2 file systems?  [...]

> As an alternative, does anyone have any suggestions on how to backup
> such file systems, particularly ext2 file systems?

I wrote a tar that knows how to read filesystems right off the raw
disk, a la dump, which allows it to (a) back things up without touching
even the ctimes and (b) handle files with holes 100% right.  (It's the
only program I know of that does as well as possible on the Zwicky
tests - the only tests it gets at all wrong are the ones involving
things changing during the dump.)

Now, this code is of course filesystem-specific, and the code that's
there is for ffs.  But I know someone who's got ext2fs support for that
thing in progress (he works at a site that uses the ffs version for
their routine backups, and wants to do their Linux machines too).

Once this exists, it should be an option - I'm definitely going to roll
it back into my sources, and as always, anyone who wants a copy need
but ask for it.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca