Subject: Re: dump for ext2 and DOS
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/30/1998 15:31:52
On Jun 27, Michael C. Richardson wrote

>   Does anyone have any plans to extend dump to be able to backup
> DOS or ext2 file systems? (I keep a bootable Linux system on my desktop
> to allow me to install things that insist that I must run Linux to
> install them...)
>
>   As an alternative, does anyone have any suggestions on how to backup
> such file systems, particularly ext2 file systems? Tar doesn't work unless
> you do your backups as root, which I don't particularly want to do over
> the network. It appears that there isn't even dump that comes with Linux.
>   [I like g read of /dev/?d0? for group operator...]

Well, Linux has a dump utility (which is a port of BSD's dump) in the
e2fsprogs package (current version is e2fsprogs-1.06.tar.gz, you should be
able to get it from sunsite, in a directory like system/filesystems/ext2).
As far as I remember, these utilities are quite easy to compile on
NetBSD.
You should also be able to use linux's dump binary in emulation mode too,
but I never tried it.