Subject: Re: Change time for /etc/daily
To: None <apb@iafrica.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: tech-misc
Date: 10/27/1997 18:59:09
> > I think a better fix would be to arrange for cron to avoid
> > running jobs twice
>
> I seem to recall that the cron in HP-UX had some heuristics for
> dealing sensibly with DST transitions, but I no longer have
> access to an HP-UX system, so I can't check my memory.

But I have, and true enough, it handles it this way:

      When a command is specified to run at an ambiguous time, the command
      is executed only once at the first occurrence of the ambiguous time.

      When a command is specified to run at a nonexistent time, the command
      is executed after the specified time by an amount of time equal to the
      DST-shift.  When such an adjustment would conflict with another time
      specified to run the command, the command is run only once rather than
      running the command twice at the same time.

      Commands that are scheduled to run during all hours (there is a * is
      in the hour field of the crontab entry) are scheduled without any
      adjustment.

I think it's fairly obvious what's meant by "ambigious time" and
"nonexistent time", so I've left the definition of that out (it's
defined in the above quoted man page, which is for cron(1M) on
HP-UX 10.20).

- H=E5vard