Subject: Re: Change time for /etc/daily
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 10/26/1997 11:16:27
>> this night, we, French people, had the opportunity to spleep one more
>> hour because we switched from daylight saving time to winter time.
>> So, at 3 o' clock in the morning, it was 2 o' clock again.
>
>Something similar happened here in Canada, too, though the time of the
>changeover was slightly different:
>
>	% date -r 877845599
>	Sun Oct 26 01:59:59 EDT 1997
>	% date -r 877845600
>	Sun Oct 26 01:00:00 EST 1997
>
>> That's no big deal but I think most European countries have the same
>> problem and it would be great if the standard /etc/daily was run at
>> another time, say 1 o' clock.
>
>Anytime >=01:00 and <02:00 would cause the very same problem for most
>of North America.

...and exactly the opposite for the other end of daylight saving time.
i remember being confused when i didn't get my reports one sunday
morning last spring.  perhaps daily, weekly, and monthly could be
moved to 3:30, 4:30, and 5:30?  or would that conflict with yet
another country's version of dst?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet