re: Running Xorg with a serial console

i run X11 with serial console on my devbox and have for over a decade,
so your problems seem to be some setup issue not a code issue, though
it wouldn't surprise me too much if something better can be done in
code..

> First, Xorg probes the console driver and considers a failure as
> fatal. When running on a serial console, wscons is not initialized,
> and Xorg will not start. The patch below fixes that.

this sounds like you didn't setup wscons for serial properly, and that
ttyE5 is not created.  this is what happens when the console is not
the wscons.  see /etc/wscons.conf (you'll have to uncomment the ttyE2
to ttyE5 lines.)

(possibly we could enhance the error in bsd_init.c, but this is really
a your-setup issue.)

> This first bug being addressed, the machine will experrience several
> freeze while Xorg start, The console display pckbport: command timeout
> This comes from pckbport_cleanup() in src/sys/dev/pckbport/pckbport.c

this is odd, but something else must be happening because i often
use *both* pckbd and ukbd on the system mentioned above, and i've
never seen this problem.

please provide full details on this part.  mine shows eg:

[     1.032871] pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x64

and

[     3.059391] ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 Variable keys, 6 Array codes
[     3.059391] wskbd0 at ukbd0 mux 1

(i have nothing currently plugged into the pckbd port.)

.mrg.