Re: Forcing a USB device to "ugen"

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 09:09:57AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 12:25:07AM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> > This is how it works in other systems like Linux with
> > USBDEVFS_CLAIMINTERFACE, and that's the model that libusb is built
> > around.  It's a nontrivial change to our USB stack requiring some care
> > to get right, but this is far and away the biggest shortcoming of our
> > USB stack and we should unquestionably do it.
>
> Strongly seconded.

Yes!

It is also not *that* intrusive as it may sound at first look:
basically we need a central registry that collects all the
identification data (vid,pid,strings and what have you) plus the parent
and the device pointer, and a flag if this is a device claimed by some
driver or one of the currently visible ugen* things.

Due to this being USB we already have detach support everywhere, and only
need a bit of additional glue.

Martin