Re: Polymorphic devices

Brad Spencer wrote :

> It has a built in UART which is a separate USB device and then
> a USB device that can be programmed to provide I2C,

What are you using to flash these devices?

I have been using several I2C devices such as servomotor controllers,
i/o extenders, relay controllers, displays, etc. with arduino
controllers (waiting on some esp32 boards now) and most of the
non-standard arduino boards require flashing (via usb) of some sort
to set what you want to use, as I will have to so with the esp32s.

I am having to use a 10-yr-old windows laptop to flash and program
these things. I wish we had the Arduino IDE ported to NetBSD as it
is a very nice tools for this but waiting for 10 minutes for the
thing to come up under windows is tiring. Once they are up, many
of these controllers have bluetooth, ethernet and wifi support
where I can control them directly from NetBSD but getting them
there and programming them is archaic on windows.

Yes, there are the basic programmers in pkgsrc but the arduino ide
can easily program a complete package linked to a git repository
into these devices very nicely (once you have it up and running)
and runs on linux.

Having I2C devices directly accessible sounds interesting though.