Re: drm.4 man page and import of X11 drm-kms.7 and al.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 02:33:43PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:

> tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost wrote:
> > So to clarify: I'm proposing to convert the rst doc pages to man
> > pages (with for example the utility I cite), and to add the man pages,
> > in man format, to the sources (in order for the sources to not depend
> > on a supplementary external tool) and to install the man pages in
> > /usr/X11R7/man/.
>
> I wouldn't bother installing man pages for this, someone working on the
> kernel already has the source tree.
>
> Maybe the drm.4 manpage could be extended to describe the current
> status.

But someone writing an X11 client should have the information: NetBSD is
also a system for development. The man pages should be at least in
Xcomp.

There is still a big part in user space. And it will help too the
ones who want to have a clue about what it is---not to mention that
this will clarify the fact that this is heavily X11 linked, which
is part of the problem:  how could a GPU be used for not "rendering",
but as a General Purpose Graphics Processor, if it's not the kernel
that is arbitrating but the X11 server. This does mean that an
arbitrary application could not work without being converted to
use the X11 interface.

(I'm my view, the kernel should detect all the resources (it's its role:
a kernel is a resource manager allowing a policy to resources access)
including auxiliary processors like GPUs, and the rendering is only a
specialized usage of these resources.)
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/