Re: RFC: Native epoll syscalls

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 01:50:47PM -0400, Theodore Preduta wrote:
> There are two main benefits to adding native epoll syscalls:
>
> 1. They can be used to help port Linux software to NetBSD.

Well, syscall numbers are cheap and plenty...

The real question is: is it a usefull and consistent API to have?
At first sight it looks like a mix of kqueue and poll, and seems to be
quite complex.

> 2. They can be used to test the epoll code with ATF.

I wonder if we should (instead, or additionally) create something like
syscall(2) for emulations, like:

  int emul_syscall(const char *emul_name, int number, ...)

Would not be very fast (obviously), but good enough for ATF.
Slightly tricky with the syscall number mess some OSes have, but probably
not too bad to restrict this type of tests to a small number of architectures
where we know Linux emul works good enough (and is available).

Martin