Re: malloc(9) vs kmem(9) interfaces

Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost> writes:

> Right, so the question is -- can we get the attribution _without_
> that?  Surely attribution itself is just a matter of some per-CPU
> counters.

Reading along, it strikes me there is a huge point implicit in your
last sentence.

I first thought of attribution as being able to tell what a particular
allocated object is being used for.  That requires state per object.

However, you are talking about maintaining a count of objects by user.
That is vastly cheaper, and likely 90%+ as useful.

SO there is "object attribution" and "total usage attribution".