Re: PROPOSAL: Split uiomove into uiopeek, uioskip

On 2023-05-10 14:00, Jason Thorpe wrote:

On May 9, 2023, at 3:09 PM, Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:

- uiopeek leaves uio itself untouched (it may modify the source/target
  buffers but it's idempotent).

Hm… I’m having second thoughts about uiopeek(), as well.  It implies a direction (“peek” feels like “read”, and “write” would feel more like a “poke”).  I think uiocopy() is a better name, and I think it is sufficiently different from uiomove() (“move” implies a sortof destructive-ness that “copy” does not).

I would sortof agree. But for me, "peek" more suggests that you are looking at the content, but intentionally leaving the data in there for something else to later pick up/process. copy seems to more appropriately describe what the intent is.

Also, skip for also implies that you are skipping over the data, intentionally not interested in it. After a copy, I would feel it would be more describing to say advance rather than skip (or if someone else have another good verb for it, I'm all ears...)

  Johnny