Re: kernel goes dark on boot

On Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 05:08:34PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> I wonder if tuning EFI_ALLOCATE_MAX_ADDRESS in
> src/sys/arch/i386/stand/efiboot/Makefile.efiboot would be enough.

I will test that, but I am not convinced it can help.

The crash happens in startprog64(), where the kernel is
copied from (efi_kernel_start + efi_loadaddr) to (efi_kernel_start).
During the process, it writes to pages allocated by UEFI, causing
the crash.

If I understand correctly, chaning EFI_ALLOCATE_MAX_ADDRESS
will change efi_loadaddr, which means it will only change
the source address for startprog64(), not the destination.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost