Re: Finding the slot in the ioconf table a module attaches to?

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 10:42 Brad Spencer <brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost> wrote:
Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> writes:

>       hello Brad.  I thought the idea behind modules was that you didn't need to rebuild a
> kernel to add devices to the ioconf table?  And, in fact, under the old module framework, that
> is, NetBSD-5 and earlier, you could add devices and major numbers to the table without having
> to rebuild the kernel.  If, in fact, I need to rebuild the kernel to add device drivers to the
> kernel, then I submit our module framework is fatally broken.  So, I'll hope that isn't the
> case and proceed.  If I figure out how to do it, I'll post here so others won't have to climb
> that learning curve using the same path.
> -thanks
> -Brian

OT:

dh@ and I had a discussion (on-list here and in #netbsd-code iirc) surrounding these sorts of issues some time (~2 years?) ago and I believe he got excited/disappointed enough that he suggested he might write-up some thoughts on modules and NetBSD, incl (if this helps dh@ find the paper, or otherwise chime in) why block vs character distinction is unnecessary, and a mistake.

Dave?

-bch

My general experience seems to be that a recompile of the kernel is
needed, at least when used in the manor I used it (adding a new module
that used a static major number in one of the major files).  I was
bundling a module that would be added to src anyway, so the recompile
wasn't a notable problem.  The devsw_attach(9) man page implies that the
major and minor number can be selected with that call, but I have never
used it that way.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org