Re: Finding the slot in the ioconf table a module attaches to?

RVP <rvp%SDF.ORG@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 1 Feb 2023, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>
>> 	hello.  Following up on my own post, I found the mechanism by which the cdevsw structure
>> gets tied to the ioconf table in NetBSD-5.  It's done with:
>>

>> MOD_DEV("zaptel", "zaptel", NULL, -1, &zaptel_cdevsw, ZT_MAJOR)
>>
>> This macro has been removed from the new module framework.  Can someone point me in the correct
>> direction as to where to look for the replacement function for this macro with the new module
>> framework?
>>

> These should help you:
>
> /usr/src/sys/modules/examples/readhappy/readhappy.c
> /usr/src/sys/conf/majors*
>
> -RVP

To add a bit...  generally I have just added an entry to one of the
"major" files in sys/conf.  However, I have noticed that in order for
the module to be able to use it, after the major file edit, I had to
rebuild the kernel as well.  I have never been 100% sure that was proper
behavior, but it seems to be the case.  That is, just editing the major
file and building or rebuilding the module has not been enough.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org