Re: ATA TRIM?

On Sun, Dec 25, 2022 at 11:10:44AM -0500, Mouse wrote:
> >> I find it far more plausible that I'm doing something wrong.
> > Or maybe the drive just doesn't obey the spec?
>
> That's possible, I suppose.  But it's a brand new Kingston SSD

I've used quite a few Kingston SSDs in BSD systems over the last ten
years or so, and whilst they work they have all shown some odd behaviours
compared to other brands.

Specifically, after a couple of years of use they suddenly become very slow to
_read_, I had one that was literally reading at about 2 or 3 Mb/sec compared
to ~140 Mb/sec previously in the same system.

A secerase has always fixed this issue every time I've encountered it.

BUT, the secerase leaves the device bricked for about 60 minutes or sometimes
longer.  I.E. it blocks the SATA bus and most machines just hang at the BIOS
for about 45 seconds until they time out.

Power cycling the bricked device seemingly does nothing to help, you just
have to wait until it eventually reverts to normal behaviour.

We have at least five Kingston SSDs here that have all exhibited this
behaviour.  I've never seen it with any other SSD, and have used plenty of
Crucial, Corsair, and others.

> The packaging promises free technical support.  I suppose I should try
> to chase down a contact (the packaging gives no hint whom to contact
> for that promised support) and ask.  At worst I'll be told nothing
> useful.

That would be interesting.