Re: i386: 9.99.108 traps booting on VirtualBox

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 20:12:57 +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

> Annoying...  We really shouldn't abuse function prototypes like this:
> according to the prototype, what I did with intr_kdtrace_wrapper is
> correct.

Right, we decieved the compiler and the compiler was like, ok,
boomer...

> I think it would be reasonable to add an exception like you did for
> now, maybe with an INTR_NOTRACE flag (perhaps someone can find a way
> to phrase this positively) instead of a magic number, until we can
> remove the abuse of calling convention for clockintr.

As I said, it was just a quick kludge to avoid a bunch of files
recompiled (and I didn't even get the number right...).

> > With KDTRACE_HOOKS enabled (modulo clockintr hack) and the serial
> > console (for debugging) I see the system stuck on console output when
> > rc runs.  It gets unstuck on a com interrupt (e.g. pressing a key).
> >
> > Seems to work fine with KDTRACE_HOOKS disabled.
>
> Do you mean that:
>
> - with KDTRACE_HOOKS enabled, clockintr hack applied, and console on
>   serial, system gets stuck on console output until com interrupt

Yes, I get some of the early output from rc and then the system
stalls.  There's no further rc output and I don't get a login prompt
on the wscons.  When I type a key into the serial console, the output
gets unstuck and I get the rest of the rc output and the login prompt
on wscons.

> - with KDTRACE_HOOKS disabled, and console on serial, system proceeds
>   without getting stuck on console output?

Yes.

-uwe