Re: ATA TRIM?

On Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 11:44:59PM -0500, Mouse wrote:
 > Since the data on the device is still there afterwards, I don't think
 > [...]

The state of the data after TRIM is unspecified; you might read the
old data, you might read zeros or ones, you might (I think) even read
something else.

What you read, though, also doesn't indicate whether the device thinks
the blocks are available; that is, as far as I know it's legal for the
device to leave the mapping of those logical blocks to physical blocks
alone but mark the physical blocks for later reuse.

So it's very difficult to tell if it actually did anything.

The code in -9 does work, though, as far as we know.

oh, I also remember having to switch some machine's bios to cause the
controller to appear as ahcisata and not something else older. Don't
remember what the symptoms of not doing that were, though, and that
was like 10 years ago.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost