Re: Limiting malloc to the low 2GB?

On Mon, 28 Nov 2022, Valery Ushakov wrote:

Do we have a way to tell malloc on a 32-bit system to allocate memory
only below the 2GB boundary (on i386, including when run under amd64)?
I'm trying to port a(n old) program that wants to use the sign bit for
its internal purposes.  I guess one option would be to prevent malloc
from using mmap (and disable alsr?) so that only sbrk (in the low 2GB)
is used.

The standard jemalloc in the system has a compile-time flag to do this
`--with-lg-vaddr=31'. No run-time setting possible from what I can see.
Or, you could compile the program against the old `src/lib/libbsdmalloc'
which only uses sbrk().

-RVP