Re: Enable to send packets on if_loop via bpf

Ryota Ozaki <ozaki.ryota%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> NetBSD can't do this because a loopback interface
> registers itself to bpf as DLT_NULL and bpf treats
> packets being sent over the interface as AF_UNSPEC.
> Packets of AF_UNSPEC are just dropped by loopback
> interfaces.
>
> FreeBSD and OpenBSD enable to do that by letting users
> prepend a protocol family to a sending data.  bpf (or if_loop)
> extracts it and handles the packet as an extracted protocol
> family.  The following patch follows them (the implementation
> is inspired by OpenBSD).
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/~ozaki-r/loop-bpf.patch
>
> The patch changes if_loop to register itself to bpf
> as DLT_LOOP and bpf to handle a prepending protocol
> family on bpf_write if a sender interface is DLT_LOOP.

I am surprised that there is not already a DLT_foo that already has this
concept, an AF word followed by data.  But I guess every interface
already has a more-specific format.

Looking at if_tun.c, I see DLT_NULL.  This should have the same ability
to write.   I have forgotten the details of how tun encodes AF when
transmitting, but I know you can have v4 or v6 inside, and tcpdump works
now. so obviously I must be missing something.

My suggestion is to look at the rest of the drivers that register
DLT_NULL and see if they are amenable to the same fix, and choose a new
DLT_SOMETHING that accomodates the broader situation.

I am not demanding that you add features to the rest of the drivers.  I
am only asking that you think about the architectural issue of how the
rest of them would be updated, so we don't end up with DLT_LOOP,
DLT_TUN, and so on, where they all do almost the same thing, when they
could be the same.

I don't really have an opinion on host vs network for AF, but I think
your choice of aligning with FreeBSD is reasonable.