Re: Can version bump up to 9.99.100?

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 at 19:00:23 +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
[...] That is, except for in pkgsrc, which is why I still
have a (very mild) concern about that one - it actually compares the
version numbers using its (until it gets changed) "Dewey" comparison
routines, and for those, 9.99.100 is uncharted territory.

One wrinkle is that the current definition of OPSYS_VERSION (in
pkgsrc/mk/bsd.prefs.mk) does this (wrapped for formatting):

_OPSYS_VERSION_CMD=     ${UNAME} -r | \
                        awk -F. '{major=int($$1); minor=int($$2);
                        if (minor>=100) minor=99; patch=int($$3);
                        if (patch>=100) patch=99; printf "%02d%02d%02d",
                        major, minor, patch}'

So there will be information loss there, at minimum. Whether that ends
up being significant at some point, I guess we can't say. Someone could
always re-implement something different for NetBSD (meaning all the
existing NetBSD-specific uses of OPSYS_VERSION would be adjusted).

(There are 135 instances of OPSYS_VERSION in pkgsrc presently. I don't
know offhand how many are NetBSD-specific, that's harder to count, but
it's a significant subset, I believe.)

Regards,

Dave