Re: debugging a kernel that doesn't start

Le Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 09:17:52PM +0200, Edgar Fuß a écrit :
> I'm trying to run NetBSD on a Dell PowerEdge R6515, and the kernel is being
> loaded (PXE or USB) but then the machine hangs hard.
>
> What's the way to debug a kernel that hangs so early that you can't printf
> or drop into ddb? I guess that's a phenomenon quite common for a new port
> or changes to locore.s (or whatever that's called today), but it's completely
> new to me.
>
> I have virtually no clue about PeCee hardware. At the point the kernel is
> started, are BIOS routines still available?

Start by trying to boot without the KMS. I had the problem of a kernel
not reaching init, on a remote server, without any other access (no
serial, no IPMI). See:

http://notes.kergis.com/netbsd_on_OVH_baremetal.html

                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/