Re: fan control

manu%netbsd.org@localhost (Emmanuel Dreyfus) writes:

>Is there any way to control fans through ACPI? acpi(4) says "The acpifan
>driver does not support controlling the fan", but is it something that
>needs to be implmented, or is it not possible?

Depends. Some ACPI implementations allow you to set fan parameters
and thresholds, but often they do not. Sometimes can set such
parameters in BIOS.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/acpi/fan_performance_states.html

So, we could add support for "Fan Fine Grain Control", and maybe
your ACPI code offers it.

Linux also has drivers for specific hardware (mostly laptops) that
can control the fans directly or can set temperature thresholds
that ACPI will then honor.