Re: Anyone recall the dreaded tstile issue?

>> [...kernel coredump...kernel stack traces...]
>> [...dig up a way to get userland stack traces...]

> I did a pile of work on GDB, 10 or more years ago, to add that
> capability for the non-standard system coredumps we used in
> EqualLogic.  It's not a simple change, if you want it to be fairly
> automatic.  Part of it means looking into user mode memory, but
> another part is loading all the right symbol tables with the right
> relocations.

I'd be satisfied with a no-symbols stack trace, the kind of thing you
could get from a (userland) coredump without the matching binary.  If I
didn't already have a fair idea what the problem is, I'd be trying to
add a way to do that.

> Unfortunately I'm not in a position to dig up that code, adapt it to
> the standard NetBSD kernel dumps, and contribute it.  I could ask for
> approval to contribute my changes as-is for some interested person to
> adapt.  If that's interesting, please let me know and I can pursue
> it.

I probably am not in a position to do that work at all, and certainly
not to do it in a way that would be useful to NetBSD.

I don't know whether anyone else is.  But it does occur to me that
having the underlying code available would make it more likely that
someone would pick it up in the future.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign