Scanning floppy devices with assumed density

Hi, all,

It has been ages since I've used floppies in NetBSD very much, but checking the man page, different slice letters are used to indicate disk densities. From fdc(4):

     The driver supports the following floppy diskette formats by using
     particular partitions:
           1.44MB 3.5-inch (b)
           1.2MB 5.25-inch (c)
           360KB 5.25-inch (1.2MB drive) (d)
           360KB 5.25-inch (IBM-PC drive) (e)
           720KB 3.5-inch (f)
           720KB 5.25-inch (g)
           360KB 3.5-inch (h)

A user on Reddit pointed out this error on booting a NetBSD 9 kernel on an i80486 system:

boot device: fd0 [ 5.121888] fd0d: hard error reading fsbn 0 of 0-2 (st0 0x40<abnrml> st1 0x1<no_am> st2 0x0 cyl 0 head 0 sec 1)

https://www.reddit.com/r/NetBSD/comments/vh4wgc/a_little_bit_of_fun_booting_the_netbsd_162/idyrf95/

She wondered why fd0d is being used here. I can't imagine this is due to scanning for a disklabel, since they've been around forever, so is this perhaps due to dkwedge_discover?

John