mfii hanging on boot

Hello, I've got a file server that has gotten into a state where it will no longer complete boot.  I am
wondering if this is related to kern/56669 "crash at MegaRAID SAS 9341-8i "  In my case
it happens to be an LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i.  This is a production server that was built
about 3 years ago, no changes have been made to the Raid other than the system was updated
from 8.2 to 9.1 about a year ago.

In the LSI bios the controller reports no bad disks or bad blocks and both RAIDs look to be intact
and "Condition: Optimal".

At some point in the past few days, the machine hung and could not be forced into single user
mode from ddb, so it was rebooted.  Since then it gets hung like this:
[   1.1048093] mfii0 at pci5 dev 0 function 0: "LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i", firmware 23.34.0-0005, 1024MB cache
[   1.1048093] mfii0: interrupting at ioapic1 pin 18
[   1.1048093] scsibus0 at mfii0: 64 targets, 8 luns per target
[  14.2365238] mfii0: cmd timeout ccb 0xffffbf01053cdec8
[  62.2897768] mfii0: workqueue busy: updates stopped

I can break to the debugger and reboot 0c, but otherwise cannot proceed.

I've tried pxebooting the installer kernel, but that also hangs during the same initiation of mfii.

I pxebooted Linux which came up, but it did not try to load a driver for the LSI MegaRAID.  I may
try that next, but wanted to see if I could help Uwe or work with someone that might also be
having this problem.