Re: New iwn firmware & upgrade procedure

Havard Eidnes <he%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> 1) Could the if_iwn driver fall back to using the 6000g2a-5 microcode
>    without any code changes?  (My gut feeling says "yes", but I have
>    no existence proof of that.)

Unless it's really necessary (ABI change in accessing device with new
firmware), it seems that the firmware should just be named for the
device and not have the firmware version.  Thus you'd get the version
you have in tree, and that might be a little old.  Alternatively there
could be a symlink.  But I don't understand why it is versioned.

> Should the wireless firmware go into a different set which we also
> learn the habit of extracting before reboot of the kernel?

If the versioning is really intractable and frequent, perhaps, but I
think this can be 99% solved by not putting firmware versions in
filenames.

A quick skim of /libdata/firmware makes me think it is mostly not
versioned.