Re: Slightly off topic, question about git

On Wed, 2022-06-08 at 06:45 -0400, Mouse wrote:

> > Interactive add ('git add -u -p', and 'git reset -p' before 'git
> > commit') lets you separate unrelated changes into individual commits
> > as they should be.
>
> Based on the documentation I've seen, though, they're somewhat
> crippled, in that they work at diff-hunk granularity, and tend to be
> single-pass - I haven't used them myself, because they depend on perl,
> so I have to depend on documentation.  I wrote a curses tool that,
> while still pre-alpha quality, does philosophically similar things
> (without needing perl).

Not crippled at all, quite the opposite. Interactive add
_defaults_ to diff hunks, and you can pick them or skip them from
the staging which constructs the next commit. But you can also
's' split hunks for finer selection, and 'e' edit the hunk to
create exactly what you would like to get staged. You can have
chunks revisited later in the selection after seeing other hunks.
Total control, your choice. Just see the legend near the prompt
(assuming the git subcommand is available to you, of course).

In the past I've seen people use some other UI than 'git add -p'
but cannot remember the name. These UIs may differ, can't tell
from first hand experience.

> > And do not mistake github.com the service provider or its many
> > unaware users as representative for git-scm.org the tool and concept.
>
> Eh.  The tool is git.  git-scm.org is a domain name (colloquially used
> to refer to a website), not the tool.

I'd assume that you got what I intended to express. The fact that
'github' has 'git' in its name leads unaware people to think
they'd be the same. They are not. That's what I tried to say.

virtually yours
Gerhard Sittig