Re: valgrind

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 at 10:03, Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> > I guess they can think so because nested functions are a gcc extension.
> > Quite a useful one, I think, having been taught programming with Algol
> > 68 which of course does have nested functions; but an extension
> > nevertheless.
>
> AFAIR, it comes for GCC's support for pascal which has nested functions
> defined. Its just that for 'C' it was an easy addition since the compiler
> already suported it.

I suspect a bigger contributor may have been that all the cool
languages (and Ada) supported this feature; so why not GCC.   At the
time (pre-EGCS?) any language trying to use GCC as a front end really
struggled (except perhaps Ada), and Pascal more so than most.

However this is all hearsay.  My attempt at archology failed.  All I
found was a bug fix to the code in 1998.