Re: pcc [was Re: valgrind]

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 10:21 Greg A. Woods <woods%planix.ca@localhost> wrote:
At Mon, 21 Mar 2022 08:54:43 -0400 (EDT), Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:
Subject: pcc [was Re: valgrind]

> >> I've been making very-spare-time progress on building my own
> >> compiler on and off for some years now; perhaps I'll eventually get
> >> somewhere.  [...]
> > Have you looked at pcc?  http://pcc.ludd.ltu.se/ and in our source
> > tree in src/external/bsd/pcc .
>
> No, I haven't.  I should - it may well end up being quicker to move an
> existing compiler in the directions I want to go than to write my own.

I would like to add my voice too.

I _really_ like valgrind.  It is immensely valuable and infinitely
better than any of the compiler so-called "sanitizers" (except maybe the
Undefined Behaviour sanitizer in Clang, which, sadly, is a necessary
evil if one is to use such a modern language bastardizer like Clang).

It's a little ugly to use, and it's a very tough task-master, but I'm
really sad that I cannot use it easily and regularly on NetBSD.

(I'm just about as sad that it no longer works on modern macOS either.)

I also really like PCC.  (I remember teething pains getting used to it
back when it first replaced Ritchie C on my university's PDP-11/60, but
once I actually used it for real code (i.e. assignments in those days),
and soon on the Vax too, I really liked it.)

I'm really sad that I still cannot build NetBSD entirely with PCC as the
native and only default compiler.

Is there a case for another concerted  campaign on pcc like ragge@ did those years ago?

-bch

I would like to do whatever I can to help fix these two problems, but
I'm not anywhere near able to even begin to fix them on my own (well I
could hack on NetBSD to make it work with PCC, but I don't want to be a
one-man-band on a project of that scale).

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>
Planix, Inc. <woods%planix.com@localhost>     Avoncote Farms <woods%avoncote.ca@localhost>