About Google Summer of Code 2022 and Easy-level kernel-side projects

Hello, my name is Berken and I'm willing to apply to Google Summer of Code 2022. I'm currently a freshman bachelor CS student at Technical University of Delft, Netherlands.
I have been interested in Linux/Unix for a decade and my main ambition is to become an OS developer in the future. However, until now I haven't been able to make a reasonable contribution to the open source community. I want to start somewhere though, and working on a Unix-like operating system seems to be the perfect way to get better.
From my previous university in Turkey, I have acquired some C and Python skills and here I'm learning Java/JS/Node.JS. However, for a software as complex as a kernel I feel kind of lost as to where to start/what to read etc. and to be honest I feel mentally blocked to some extent. I want to contribute to the tasks about syscalls or ZFS, but I need some guidance before I get ready to apply in April. I have worked on a mobile application for Google Solution Challenge 2021 and I've also created a chess website for a school assignment, but I lack more relevant experience.

If you agree to help me, even if my application gets rejected I'm willing to work on a task and submit a PR by the end of summer. Experience and guidance is what matters to me.

Here's my GitHub if you're interested: https://github.com/berkentekin

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Berken Tekin